Yesterday was my birthday. My 22nd birthday to be exact and I feel like I have learned a lot during my 21 years of life. I’m not saying I am all knowing by any stretch of the imagination, but I have learned a lot in my life so far. I thought it would be fun to share some of the biggest things I have learned with you. So, here are 21 things I have learned in 21 years.
- Learning how to ride a bike is the most liberating thing when your 6 years old
- No matter how much you love your favorite Easter egg, do not hide it under your bed for another three weeks
- If you are going to fight with your brother, you aren’t allowed to cry if you get hurt
- Fighting with your brother will actually teach you how to fend for yourself in the future
- If you have a big sister, you will probably hate her until she leaves for college
- Whatever you do, do not break you step-sisters barbie bed. It will make her very upset.
- Sometimes your innocence shields you from things that you aren’t ready to understand
- It is entirely possible to eat an entire family sized box of Cocoa Puffs in one sitting
- Get up early, you see more of your day that way
- Friends come and go and sometimes its better to let them go.
- (I know its a cliché) but find happiness in yourself first, before you try and find happiness in someone else
- Learn how to braid your hair. It’s a life saver.
- There is a value in having a few close friends
- Work a part time job if you can. You learn valuable lessons from it.
- Spend time with parents
- Know that you are valued no matter what other people say or think.
- Push yourself into uncomfortable situations because that is when you will grow the most.
- Invest in yourself. Whether it be in time, materials, or health. Just do it.
- Getting throw up drunk is only fun the first couple of times
- Be kind to everyone
- Practice reckless optimism
Again, I am not all knowing but I do know these things. Some of them are funny and some of them are honest. Life is such an unpredictable thing that it is good to roll with what is given to you. Learn often and try your best. Hopefully this 22nd year will teach me something new.